Risk Communications IN-PERSON Training Course
|Environmental Risk Communication Virtual Training|
|November 9, 2022||9:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST|
|November 10, 2022||9:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST|
|Agenda: Environmental Risk Communication|
Instructors: Susan Z. Forney | Anthony J. (Tony) Sadar
LMS Links: LMS Registration | LMS Flier
Registration Deadline Date: October 20, 2022
Registration Contact Information: Sue Dilli and Jackie Burkhardt (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Sharon Ray (email@example.com).
Rachel Carson State Office Building
400 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Course Description and Learning Objectives: The introductory Environmental Risk Communication training course familiarizes students with the theory and practice of risk communication and equips them with practical how-to guidance for effectively communicating about sensitive environmental and health issues. The course is designed to be conducted over a two-day period but can be modified for other durations. In-person training is preferable to virtual instruction due to the value of role-playing exercises; however, the course has been highly rated in both venues.
Students will learn to distinguish the different forms and circumstances surrounding risk communication, and the factors that boost success in each. The training features a number of case studies and video examples. For virtual training, instructors also will perform brief role playing exercises to demonstrate principles and tools. For in-person training, students will participate in hands-on exercises involving mock situations and problem solving. Examples of mock situations include hostile town hall meetings, reporter interviews, one-on-one exchanges with stakeholders, and development of key messages.
- Key skill sets addressed in the training are:
- Planning and evaluating risk communication efforts.
- Identifying, understanding and prioritizing stakeholders.
- Developing and delivering key messages.
- Identifying and preparing spokespersons.
- Understanding and applying the right tools for communicating about risk in person (face-to-face, in meetings and hearings), in print and electronically/digitally.
- Navigating environmental justice initiatives.
This training course will be held IN-PERSON and there is NO registration fee for this training. A nominal fee of $160.00 will be charged for Federal employees, if seats are available. Students will need to do the following in order to REGISTER FOR THE COURSE WAITLIST on EPA’s AirKnowledge Learning Management System (LMS):
- Create a USER PROFILE in the new LMS: If you have not already done so, please create an account in the new LMS here. Please reference the attached LMS Flier for instructions on how to set up your profile.
- REGISTRATION within the LMS: To do this, please follow these instructions (see attached LMS USER GUIDE):
· Log-in to your account and hover over the “My Training” tab on the home page.
· Select the third option under “My Training” entitled “Instructor Led Training Calendar.”
· Change the month to November of 2022, if it is not already and scroll down to the course date and click on the course title.
· Register for the course WAITLIST by clicking on the blue REQUEST button. You should receive a confirmation message that you have been added to the waitlist. You will also receive an automated email once you have been confirmed and added to the roster.
· NOTE: Logistical details regarding this course will be provided approximately 1 week prior to the course.
MAXIMUM ATTENDANCE AND WAITLIST INFORMATION
NOTE: The maximum attendance for this course is 50 students. MARAMA will work with your state agency Training Coordinators to confirm and prioritize attendance as necessary. You will receive a confirmation notice from the LMS system if you are ENROLLED in the course.