This position is posted by Allegheny County Health Department. It is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass background checks as required for the position. If hired, employee is required to move into Allegheny County within one year of employment.
Position Summary: This is a rare opportunity for an experienced leader to join a world class public health department, manage a highly skilled team poised for excellence and, in partnership with an array of internal and external constituencies, make monumental improvements in the lives of people and their environment.
The Deputy Director for the Bureau of Environmental Health supports the mission of ACHD to protect, promote, and preserve the health and well-being of all Allegheny County residents, particularly the most vulnerable. The Bureau of Environmental Health protects the health of Allegheny County residents by improving air quality, ensuring safe installation and use of plumbing facilities and promoting wastewater and solid waste management.
The Bureau of Environmental Health currently has a staff of approximately 80 employees across three major program areas (air quality, plumbing and wastewater and solid waste management) and an annual operating budget of $10 million. In addition to managing these programs, the Deputy Director will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and the Director and collaborate with fellow deputy directors who manage the Bureaus of Clinical Services; Community and Family Health; Food, Housing and Policy; Data, Reporting and Disease Control; Administration as well as the Public Health Laboratory. The strategic pillars for ACHD include innovation, policy leadership, health equity, community engagement and workforce development.
Overall, ACHD is the public health department for the 1.2 million people and 130 municipalities (including Pittsburgh) of Allegheny County. In September of 2017, ACHD became a nationally accredited public health department. With a budget of approximately $37 million annually, ACHD has a diverse staff of approximately 400 people.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates and implements a forward-looking vision for the environmental health work of ACHD and the advancement of equity and environmental justice.
- Collaborates with fellow Deputy Directors to integrate bureau programming and advance the overall public health mission of ACHD.
- Supervises and supports the managers of specific environmental health programs including Air Quality, Plumbing, and Wastewater and Solid Waste Management.
- Guides each program manager in the implementation of quality improvement projects and the continual evaluation and improvement of their services to the public.
- Evaluates staff, is responsible for their appointment, promotion, and dismissal and builds a pipeline for talent.
- Manages the completion of annual reviews of each program of the Bureau of Environmental Health.
- Collaborates with the legal staff on regulatory and enforcement matters.
- Directs the identification, collection, and reporting out of program data.
- Leads the evaluation and creation of regulatory standards and collaborates both internally and externally on the development of public health policy relevant to environmental health.
- Communicates directly and indirectly with a wide range of audiences regarding public health and work of the Bureau of Environmental Health.
- Engages with the Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Director of Administration to align the budget of the bureau with strategic goals.
- Administers the Clean Air Fund, the Air Pollution Control Fund and other funding sources germane to the programs of the bureau.
- Applies for grants, oversees their administration and ensures compliance with all federal, state or funder-specific requirements.